The Tom Collins Poetry Prize is an annual competition inaugurated by FAWWA in 1975 in memory of Australian author Joseph Furphy (1843 - 1912) who wrote the classic Such is Life, under the name Tom Collins.
1st prize: $1,000. 2nd prize: $200. 3rd prize: $100.
Poem length: up to 60 lines
Limit of five entries per person
$10 for each entry
The Tom Collins Poetry Prize is one of Australia’s most prestigious poetry prizes, with first place being awarded a $1,000 prize.
- Entrants must currently reside in Australia.
- All work must be original and previously unpublished, including e-publishing. Work broadcast on radio, television or film, or performed as plays, are classified as published. Any poem that has been awarded or commended in any previous competition is not eligible to enter.
- Any poem that is under consideration in another competition is ineligible.
- The Fellowship of Australian Writers Western Australia (FAWWA) reserves the right to publish the winning, second place and highly commended entries in its publications (including web site).
- Non-award winning poems will be responsibly destroyed after the competition. Ensure you keep a copy.
- The real name of the poet must not appear on the poem submission. All entries will be judged blind (identifying information will not be made available to the judge).
- Entries must be submitted via Submittable. Poems can be uploaded in .docx, .doc, .pdf and .rtf format (sensible font, font size and spacing to be used). Each poem should be uploaded as a separate file.
- Maximum of three poems per author.
- Entry fee of $20 will be collected via online payment on Submittable. No refunds will be given. Payments submitted outside of Submittable or in relation to ineligible entries will not be returned.
- The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Shortlisted writers will be notified via email and the winner announced at the Prizegiving in 2018. Results will be published on the FAWWA website www.fawwa.org.
- FAWWA Committee members are not eligible to enter.
For any general queries contact FAWWA at email@example.com